This classic dish is a meal on its own. Use any sausage, spicy or mild for an authentic italian flavor.
- 1 1/2 lbs sausage
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 jars KISSINO Classic Marinara
- 12 pieces lasagna
- Get the links and split them with a knife and discard the membrane of the sausage. This way the link sausage is more moist then the ground.
- Use half of the olive oil in a large skillet and brown the sausage.
- Dice the onions and in a separate skillet use the other half of the olive oil and sauté the onions.
- When the sausage is browned use a colander to drain off the fat and put the sausage in a large mixing bowl.
- Follow the same procedure with the onions and when drained add the onions to the bowl in which you placed the sausage. Let cool for a bit.
- Add the ricotta cheese to the sausage and onions and use you hands (gloved) to mix the sausage, onions and cheese.
- In a baking dish (standard is 73x9x2 inches), spray with non-stick canola oil spray. Spread enough sauce to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Place four pieces of the uncooked pasta crosswise in the pan. They should not touch, as they will expand.
- Spread a layer of the sausage-onion-cheese mixture over the pasta.
- Spread enough sauce to cover the mixture.
- Cover that with mozzarella and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Repeat steps 8-11 two more times.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil (try to tent the foil so the cheese will not stick to it).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes prior to cutting.
- Serve with additional KISSINO Pasta Sauce.