“My mother always made this with oregano, but one year my wife planted rosemary in the garden. We had rosemary on everything, including this chicken. My wife loves rosemary, I love oregano, so we alternate. It’s according to taste.” ~ Al Violo
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup fine bread crumbs
4 tablespoons grated, mixed romano/parmigiano cheese
Freshly milled black pepper
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
2 teaspoons of dried oregano or 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary
1. Combine marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl large enough to hold the chicken. Whisk until well combined.
2. Carefully slice chicken breasts in half. Flatten breasts, one at a time, on a wooden board between 2 sheets of freezer paper until the meat is approximately 1/8 inch thick.
3. Put meat in marinade, coating each slice well.
4. Cover with plastic wrap.
5. Allow chicken to marinate for a minimum of six hours, preferably overnight.
6. Combine bread crumbs, chees and black pepper.
7. Coat each chicken slice with the mixture.
8. Grill chicken about 4 inches from broiler flame until golden, about 7-8 minutes.
9. Turn and brown second side.